good morning bedheads!
happy new year!! hope you all had a lovely time celebrating 2015.
I’m very sorry that I haven’t posted much lately, this year I’ll try to bring lots more to you, my fellow bedheads 🙂
here for you now is a tutorial on how to make God’s eyes. the spanish name for these wonderful things is ‘ojo de dios’, meaning ‘eye of God’. the huichol indians of mexico are thought to be the original creators of these wonderful splashes of colour. I reckon that they are beautiful decorations to brighten up a room, and are so simple and addictive to make.
all you will need:
- 2 long, thin sticks (for this tutorial I’m using wooden skewers, but you could use almost anything you have handy! popsticks, big wooden poles, maybe a few twigs from the garden?)
- many different colours of string (again, anything works perfectly, from wool to twine to ribbons. I will be using embroidery thread, as I was lucky enough to discover a huge box of it in the house!!)
1. trim your two sticks so they are the same length and flat at both ends.
2. grab your first coloured string and tie the two sticks together around the middle, with a sturdy double knot.
3. the weaving part of this is one action that is repeated over and over: wrap the long end of the string around the arm of the cross pointing to the right in a clockwise direction, like so:
4. rotate the cross 90 degrees in an anticlockwise direction, so it looks like this:
5. repeat the wrapping action on the right arm of the cross. rotate, then wrap. rotate, then wrap.
keep going for it until you get a nice solid square of string in the centre, then tie off the end of the string.
6. double knot your next coloured string onto any of the arms, then start wrapping and rotating again. I find the weaving soothing because it’s so repetitive.
when you start to reach the ends of your sticks, it’s time to tie off the last string. you will have a lovely multicoloured diamond sitting in your hands:
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, please let me know what you think! most importantly I hope you have fun making yourself some God’s eyes ❤
have a great day x